Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Authors Pick Five: M.K. Hutchins


Yesterday I reviewed the debut novel, Drift, by author M.K. Hutchins. Today I'd like to spotlight her on my Authors Pick Five feature, which is where I ask this one question:

What five books are most important or influential to you?


Here's what she had to say:


The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander. I think this is the first fantasy novel I read. I’ve been hooked ever since.

Shadow Spinner by Susan Fletcher. I love myths, fairy tales, and folklore, and this is a retelling of Scheherazade, one of the greatest story-tellers of all time. I reread this book I-don’t-know-how-many-times as a kid.

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. This sparked my interested toward studying linguistics and anthropology, plus Samwise Gamgee got me through high school.

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. Okay. Picking one Sanderson novel is hard, but Mistborn is a good place to start. Sanderson’s writing has all the heroism and depth of worldbuilding that Tolkien taught me to crave, but with the sleek pace of modern fiction.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Yes, I even loved the ending to Mockingjay. I’m mesmerized by the depth and detail she gives in dealing with poverty, trauma, and everything else.




Drift is M.K. Hutchins' first novel. She has had several short stories published in Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show and Daily Science Fiction. She studied archealogy at BYU and has had the oppourtunity to be out in the field excavating. She's fascinated with everything to do about the Mayans. You can find her at her blog, and  on Twitter.


Thanks for joining me today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails