So last week, we had book club and discussed this book. Nearly everyone read, finished and liked it! I was very pleased with that outcome. (Last time not very many finished. The time before, we had both likes and dislikes, etc.)
Some general reactions:
- Many people thought they would not like the letter format, but pretty much everyone ended up liking it in the end.
- We found that the character of Elizabeth, though she wasn't a letter writer, and actually present during the story, was definitely the driving force of the whole plot and existence of the story itself.
- We enjoyed seeing/reading/getting to know all the different voices presented in the story through their letters.
- We agreed that the first dude Juliet liked and thought was for her, was not so nice.
- We agreed that Dawsey WAS nice!
- We loved learning about a part of the world we weren't previously familiar with.
Yes, I think it was across the board a book everyone enjoyed this time around!
Next up for January, When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead.