Sunday, January 16, 2022

MINI BOOK REVIEWS! September 2021 to December 2021

 So... to catch up... I'm just going to list the books I haven't fully "reviewed" yet (from 2021) with a little mini thought, and then have a fresh start for the year.



Sunkissed by Kasie West:
Fun, musically-themed story that includes a summer camp romance with a hot, long haired, sensitive guitar player. All while managing to fulfill one's own dreams. Cute and fun summer romance, and just what I'd expect from Kasie West. She remains one of my all time favorite comfort authors. Love her stuff so much!


Anxious People by Fredrik Backman:
We read this one for book club and while I enjoyed the first page immensely (I have never related to something SO MUCH!) I was soon feeling...um.. anxious about the story. The character made me crazy, the premise made me crazy. But my buddies said... DO NOT QUIT... so I didn't and they were right. All these things redeemed themselves and everything made sense in the end. And the characters ended up being lovely and perfectly relatable. What a great premise for a story that really looks deep into stuff we all have to deal with in life. It was great. This author's writing is fantastic, as most of you know.  


Not Playing Fair by Terri Osburn:
By an author friend of mine.. and I got to read this advanced copy. Fun romance about a baseball playing librarian heroine who is getting over being dumped when a new dude shows up to play ball.  She also has issues with her mom who she hasn't talked to for years when suddenly a letter from her shows up in the mail. Oh dear! Totally fun and fluff read!


Furia by Yamile Saied Mendez:
By a local author who, with this very book, was featured on Reese Witherspoon's Book Club! It's about a girl who's dream is to play soccer, but her family thinks it's crazy for her. She is out to prove them wrong!


You Have a Match by Emma Lord:
This one is about what happens if you take a DNA test and get a surprise. Our girl realizes she is a perfect match to be sisters with someone who lives in her town, but has never met. So they meet up and decide what they will do from there. Confront their parents? Become friends? Or not? This one features summer camp experiences too, just like the book above. 


A Cuban Girl's Guide to Tea and Tomorrow by Laura Taylor Namey:
I really loved this one (fantastic writing!) about a Cuban girl from Miami who is struggling with lots of things that have gone wrong in her life, so her family ships her off to spend the summer with her aunt in London. And how she finds herself there despite her best efforts to continue to hate life. SO MUCH FOOD in this book! I need all the recipes! (As if I could 1. actually make them and 2. actually eat them. Sigh.)




And those are all the books I read starting from when I last posted a review through the end of 2021. Not a whole lot I know, but I'm at least still reading!


4 comments:

  1. I wasn't crazy about A Man Called Ove, but Anxious People already caught my eye on other shelves, so I think I'm going to try that one eventually. I'll remember to stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you stuck with Anxious People! It was a fun book club discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Anxious People too. I know it's going to be my favorite read this year and I still have a whole year of books to read, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ANXIOUS PEOPLE was my book club's first read of the year and I had the same reaction to it as you did! What in the world?? I almost DNF'd it, but the more I read, the more I got used to the storytelling style. Once I got to the end, everything made sense, but boy, is the story confusing in the beginning!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails