Saturday, June 1, 2019

Kdrama Review: My ID is Gangnam Beauty

Drama: My ID is Gangnam Beauty
Genre: Romantic comedy
Starring: Cha Eunwoo, Im Soo-hyang, Kwak Dong-yeon
Rating: ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤


This one is about a girl who was ugly in middle school and high school to the point that she had no friends and everyone made fun of her. So the summer before she goes to college, she has a ton of plastic surgery done and comes out beautiful. She's ready to start a new life in college.

Much to her dismay, at orientation, there's a guy in her class/department who is from her middle school. And she she is scared he will figure out it's her. Of course, he does and things go from there.

It's about the hang up we all (and especially Korea) have on outer beauty. And how that is truly not the important thing at all. This drama deals also with bulimia as another character struggles with that. There's also much to be said about bullying. And sexual harassment too. Lots of that sort of thing, all under the umbrella of a cute love college love story.

When this first aired, lots of people were talking about Eunwoo's acting abilities. I've seen in before in The Big Hit and thought he was awesome. So when he was getting criticized for being too stiff and too bland, I was like... seriously? But it made me leery and I put off watching this one for quite awhile.

But I am happy to report that I loved his acting and thought he was totally adorable. He plays a character that who has cut himself off emotionally from everyone, and thus the stiffness. In other words, he nails this gig! And then, when he starts to loosen up... you feel it. Those last few episodes when he starts letting his smiles out are absolutely lovely.

I laughed out a lot a lot at this one. Some of the silly situations they get themselves in and the awkwardness they deal with is the best.

The side characters were also a ton of fun in this one. I was rooting for everyone to have their happy ending! I also loved seeing Kwak Dong Yeon in a nice boy role. Is he in a leading role, anyone know? Because I need to see him as the lead now!!!



P.S. Did I tell you Eunwoo is in Astro? Yeah. He is. Yet another idol actor!


Trailer:



 Clips with the song!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails