Monday, June 26, 2017

Kdrama Review: The Moon Embracing the Sun

Drama: The Moon Embracing the Sun
Genre: Historical drama/romance
Starring: Kim Soo Hyun, Han Ga In, Jung Il Woo, Song Jae Rim
Rating:  ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤

This was one of our exchange student's most favorite dramas of all time. She wanted so bad to share it with me and watch with me. We finally fit it in toward the end of her stay and had a great time watching it together. She told me when this aired a few years ago in Korea it had the best ratings a drama has ever had... then... and still. How could I pass that up? I was intrigued, and so we watched, and I was not disappointed at all.

This is a saga of a drama. A sweeping historical romance that covers a big time period and has a very complicated political plot and complicated messed up romances and relationships. I have no idea how to summarize it! But here goes my try at it.

The first episode sets the back story of the rivalry between two clans that are vying for power of the throne. There's violence and some strange sorcery magical stuff. At the end of it we are to understand that this particular shaman is charged with watching over and protecting the baby that is about to be born. 

Next episode, skip ahead several years and this baby girl is now 13 years old. There's an event near the palace and she just happens to stumble upon the 15 year old Crown Prince who is trying to escape for a moment on his own. They are instantly intrigued and fascinated with each other. (Of course she has no idea who he is.)


The Crown Prince and his Princess of choice, behind the scenes and out of character!
Aren't they so cute!!!

Well, it turns out that she and another girl end up being invited to come and live at the palace to be the companions and playmates with the young princess (the Crown Prince's little sister.) And then that's when things start getting interesting. The Crown Prince is being forced to choose his wife and he knows who he wants without question. There's a sort of audition for the position, including our girl and the other girl.. who just happens to belong to the above mentioned rival family.

Well. It appears all is well, and our two little nobles will eventually be allowed to marry. Because of course our girl wins the competition. 

But... the Queen Dowager, who heads up the rival clan, makes plans to do away with her. It's the most tragic and sad and dramatic and terrible thing! It appears she has succeeded but we are only now about 8 episodes in and there are 12 more episodes to go!

Skip ahead about 8 or 10 years and suddenly the Crown Prince is grown up. (New actors now join the cast and Kim Soo Hyun finally arrives! Though I totally loved the kid who played his younger self. Man, that kid was GOOD!) His dad has died and so he is now king. And he is married to the rival girl. But he has refused to consummate the marriage even though everyone is getting awfully upset that he won't help with the insurance that there is an heir produced. He pleads sick every time! What is his problem!!??? Well, we know that he is still in love with the other girl of course.


Kim Soo Hyun as His Majesty the King
He pretty much has a perfect face, imho.

So they get the new shaman in town to be his "bad luck talisman" and she comes and sits by his bed at night to absorb all the bad vibes. It's awesome. I want one of these! Well, and guess who this girl is? 

Yep. It's true.

And then things get oh so very complicated and crazy and intense and wonderful from there!
Hmmm... I wonder if he figures out who his talisman is?

I have no idea if this drama is any representation of what really went on during this time period in Korea's history, but if so... sheesh. It's crazy stuff. 

Think of this as a period drama, like watching stuff from our British Tudor history or something. It's like that. Just like that!

It's all very emotional, but I held it in for the most part. Until the last couple of episodes and then I gave up and let the tears stream. Sigh. It's so good and heart wrenching! 


P.S. Do you like long-haired angsty body guards? Me too.

This is a fan made trailer. They did an amazing job. It gives me chills! How about you?



And of course some scenes set to the love song:


Yeah. Mark this down as one of my favorites.

6 comments:

  1. See now, I think I could get into this one. Maybe the more contemporary ones aren't for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny: Yeah, I wonder what you'd think.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. PS--I still haven't watched Henry's new video. I need to. I've just been so busy now that I'm back at work. Gah!

      Delete
    2. Jenni: It's the same Henry I've come to know...but I like it anyway!

      Delete
    3. Jenni: I mean it ISN'T... sheesh...

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails