Movie: Star Wars The Force Awakens
Genre: SciFi Fantasy
Starring: Harrison Ford, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega
Rating: PG 13
My Rating: Two thumbs up
So. I think it's time for me to write down my thoughts. Spoilers ahead, some mild, some not so mild. Beware if you haven't seen it, but I've a feeling you've probably seen it by now.
What I liked:
- The new characters were awesome. Loved them actually. Daisy (Rey) reminds me a bit too much of Kiera Knightly, not my favorite actress, but it wasn't too distracting. So no matter. She was awesome. As was Finn. Fun, funny, quirky, strong, likable characters. Oh, and let's not forget Poe. Awesome!
- Yes, I even liked Kylo Ren. At first I wasn't sure. Upon viewing number two, I decided I didn't mind his angst and out of control emo-ish-ness. I think it makes sense for this character. It makes me feel for him as I tend to do these type of villains.
- At first I thought BB8 would just be an R2D2 rip off, but then he came into his own and I warmed up and fell in love.
- The nods to the old movies, both in some phrases, some onscreen appearances, etc. It felt like coming home, just as Han says!
- The music, as always.
- The space shots, the battles, the gun fights, the lightsaber fights, as always.
- The end, that intensity, those looks from both characters, the setting, the music, the pan around shot... all of it.
- Han was awesome. Chewie was awesome. Luke was awesome. Loved the beard on him.
- The Imax 3D viewing experience. LOVED this. Saw it the second time at a normal theater and thought... wait... where's the screen? Where's the sound? LOL.. getting very spoiled by the Imax theater stuff.
What I didn't like:
- I was bothered that the plot was basically A New Hope re-do. I mean, yes, it was fun to have the nods to the old stuff, but to totally use the same plot? Disappointed in that.
- Um. Han. Why why why!!! (Still, it made this movie especially emotional, yes?)
- Kylo Ren, the fact that the actor portraying him wasn't over the top gorgeous. I feel like he needs to be over the top gorgeous. Agreed? I think it would add to the drama of what's going on, plus given his parentage, I mean, you know?
- Princess Leia was... weird looking. She kinda gives me the creeps these days.
- That weird Nazi/Hitler scene. Where did that come from? Just... weird.
|The weird Nazi scene|
Questions I Have:
- Did Han yell... BEN??? (Is Kylo Ren's real name Ben?) On the second viewing I paid very close attention to this and yes, it totally looks like he calls him Ben. For some reason, the answer to this question is very important to me!
- What is Rey's parentage? Where does she come from? Who is ripping her away from her family in the flashback? (Did you notice they played Luke's theme whenever she was onscreen there toward the end?
- Is Kylo Ren alive? I mean, I'm pretty sure he is, but I didn't get a confirmation that it's a sure thing. He has to be though, right? That planet collapsed pretty fast!
- Will we get some love stories going on? Don't skip over this stuff writers! Romance please!!! :)
- We will get much more Luke Skywalker in the next movie, yes?
Yeah, that's pretty much all I have to say about it right now. What are your thoughts? Are we on the same page or totally different?
Bottom line: I have loved the re popularity of this movie this past weeks and months. It makes my heart so happy!