Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Book Review: Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

Book: Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

Genre: epic fantasy
Rating: ★ ★ ★ 


This is book one of a huge epic fantasy called Malazan Book of the Fallen. My son finished the entire Wheel of Time series recently and needed more of a similar genre (he was already all caught up with the Brandon Sanderson stuff) and he learned about this particular series and absolutely fell in love. And he wanted me to try it too, so that's what prompted this read!

And I must say, it was hard going in parts, but also very enjoyable in parts and while I have to say my brain these days struggles with this stuff, I also get glimpses of the old me who totally loved it. Very interesting mix that is!

Anyway,  this books starts the adventure of two peoples or empires... who are pitted against each other in a war to take over the world. It's interesting because you get the view from both sides and there truly aren't any "bad" guys... you love and are rooting for everyone!This is not how these kinds of books usually go.

One one hand we have the noble people, the rulers, the big wigs...and on the other hand we have the lower level, common people. However, everyone, or rather, many people have magic. And this means that strange and other worldly things are happening all the time. We also have the thieves and assassins using their plain old skill and luck. It's truly a mixture of everything.

 And when stuff goes down, it goes down in a big and fantastic way. Like, dragons and demons and scary birds and hounds and old skeletal creatures and fat magicians and sorcerers all fighting to win the day. One thing is for sure, the world building in this book is CRAZY. So amazing that someone can come up with this stuff! It truly blows me away.

Much of the political intrigue went over my head, as it usually does, but I did become very invested in the characters. Wiskeyjack, Sorry, Tattersail, Crokus, Quick Ben, Caladan, and so very many more! I am happy to have succeeded in making it through this first book and now my son is anxious for me to keep going (guys, there's like 20 or more in this series!) but I told him, maybe someday, but I needed a few easy reading books first! LOL!

Have any of you read this series? Let me know your thoughts if you have!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails